Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Module 4-Sara Becker

How has your network changed the way you learn?
I have so many resources I can use to access information that I need or want. Social networking allows me to reach out to people with similar interests to find answers to questions. My personal learning network is based on specific interest groups that I follow or have joined. I can use these networks for a variety of answers as well. My professional networks are networks of teachers and other educators with an interest in technology. Specifically, I belong to a ning for my local chapter of ISTE. This is a bit like a social network but geared towards members of MSET and educators with an interest in using technology in education.

What digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
The tools I mostly use for learning are blogs, wikis, and message boards. Many of the ones I use are very active and provide me with an opportunity to engage in a dialogue with others who are trying to learn more as well.

How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?
Typically for more surface topics, I will use a search engine like Google. From there, I would visit one of the sites in my personal or professional learning networks to extend my learning further and see what knowledge and expertise other people would be able to offer.

4 comments:

  1. Networking is becoming more and more common as a learning tool. I enjoy using blogs when I'm completing an assignment for this class, but I don't use it any other time. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of information available and usually stick to using a search engine like Google, when finding the answers to questions. Blogs can be misleading and very opinionated. I usually try to stick with factual information from trusted sites and resources. Do you use blogs, wikis, and discussion boards outside of our class assignments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many tools to help search for information and I do feel overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. I feel comfortable with the search engine Google when searching or exploring information. I am becoming more effecient in creating and establishing networks for professional and personal growth to enhance my learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Search engines are fine to start, but I often find that I follow-up by checking references listed on the initial finds. Have you tried any other search engines regularly? I have listed several of the more useful ones on my own Mind Map. And for the record, Twitter doesn't give me very much reliable information. Its more like a network for quick comments and responses.

    John R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all the information and resources available, do you find it somewhat daunting at times to filter the information for accuracy? What kinds of checks and balances do you use?

    ReplyDelete